Monday, July 19, 2010

The Blue Bird Theory

Here's a series I've done with watercolor, india ink and pencil. I really like this combination. I hatched using a very light pencil, so it didn't capture in photograph very well.

This series is inspired by the concept of blue bird of happiness from the opera L'oiseau bleu (The Blue Bird). I've always liked the story, I discovered it when I was little as a children's book. I was thinking about the struggle within ourselves when we can't let something precious go even after we realize it's an illusion, and end up being possessed by the illusion of happiness. I originally had more pieces in mind for this series with another character, so I might come back to it.



Click to enlarge

The Blue Bird Theory


Stage 1



Stage 2



Stage 3


Some detail shots


No comments:

Post a Comment